This document is not a policy but gives advice on a number of frequently-asked-questions in relation to the Coronavirus outbreak. However, due to the changing nature of the ongoing situation the advice we share concerning Coronavirus and other related to health hygiene matters may change. Please check regularly the Safety Bulletins tab on our Colleagues’ Portal for any updates related to this matter.

If you have any other questions that are not answered below or on the portal, please raise them with your line manager or our HR Department on

Please ensure you update your telephone and email contact details as well as your next of kin details with your line manager or HR Department.

Where can I get information about COVID-19?

The Safety Bulletins tab on our Colleague Portal.

There is also lots of information available online: the World Health Organisation, the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, Public Health England (PHE), NHS and the Department of Health and Social Care.

What are the most common symptoms of COVID – 19?

The most common symptoms of coronavirus are recent onset of:

  • new continuous cough (this means you have started coughing repeatedly) and/or
  • high temperature (you feel hot to touch on your chest or back).

For more information go to NHS website:

How to avoid catching and spreading coronavirus?

Everyone should do what they can to stop coronavirus spreading, this includes social distancing. People from the below group in particularly have been advised by the government to take into consideration social distancing measures like self-isolation and avoiding public places.

  • aged 70 or over (regardless of medical conditions)
  • those who are pregnant;
  • those with an underlying health condition (*more information in COVID-19 FAQ Appendix document)

What is social distancing?

Social distancing measures are steps you can take to reduce the social interaction between people, which will help reduce the transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19). More information can be found in COVID-19 FAQ Appendix document.

What shall I do if I have symptoms of coronavirus illness?

If you live alone, you should stay at home, self-isolate for 7 days from when your symptoms started.

Do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital. You do not need to contact 111 if you have mild symptoms of the virus.

Use the NHS 111 online coronavirus service ( if:

  • you feel you cannot cope with your symptoms at home;
  • your condition gets worse;
  • your symptoms do not get better after 7 days.

Only call 111 if you cannot get help online and 999 in emergency.

What shall I do if I live with others or other members of my household have symptoms of coronavirus?

All household members must stay at home and self-isolate for 14 days. The 14 day period starts from the day when the first person in the house became ill.

What should I do if I or another member from the same household has a confirmed case of COVID-19?

You must self-isolate for at least 14 days.

If I self-isolate or if I have a confirmed case of COVID-19 will I get paid?

If you self-isolate then you will be entitled to statutory sick pay (subject to normal qualifying criteria) from day one as per the current government guideline for up to 14 days.

If you are confirmed as having coronavirus and are taken into quarantine, you will be classified as being on sick leave. Your usual statutory and contractual pay entitlement for sickness absence will apply.

What should I do if I notice someone displaying the symptoms of COVID-19 in the workplace?

If a colleague is unwell and is displaying symptoms of coronavirus, you should keep a distance of at least 6 feet and suggest they go home and contact their manager or scheduler asap. They should always follow the company’s normal absence notification procedures.

What happens if I decide I am just not coming into work as I do not want to risk catching COVID-19?

If your absence is not authorised by the line manager, you are not showing symptoms of COVID – 19 or you are not self-isolating because a member of your household has a confirmed case of coronavirus, your absence from work may be treated as unauthorised and you could be dealt with under the appropriate Company policy.

However, as per the current government guidelines if you are over 70, or you are pregnant or have an underlining medical condition which weakened your immune system, until further guidelines from the government, your absence from work will be treated as authorised and you may be entitled to Statuary Sick Pay (subject to normal qualifying criteria). You must still follow the company’s normal absence reporting procedures.

Do I need to provide medical evidence if I am self-isolating because myself or another member of my household are showing symptoms of coronavirus or I had close contact with another person in the past 7 days who has a confirmed case of coronavirus?

Medical evidence is not required for first 7 days of authorised absence or sickness absence and you can self-certify yourself using the appropriate form. After 7 days, please contact your line manager for further advice if you are unable to obtain a medical certificate.

To make it easier for employees to provide evidence to their employer, NHS are developing an alternative form of evidence to the fit note. NHS confirmed that these will shortly be available through NHS online. We will update you once this form has been developed and is available.

Would I be entitled to any pay from the Company if I have to self-isolate and I do not meet the required by law criteria (e.i. you must earn an average of at least £118 per week, for more details go to to receive SSP?

If your line manager and/or our payroll department confirm that you are not entitled to Statutory Sick Pay, you may apply for:


My child’s school has been closed until further notice and I need to stay at home to look after them. Can I have the time off and will I still get paid?

If you cannot attend work due to family care issues, this will be treated as dependant leave and will be dealt with in line with your contractual terms or our Time Off for Dependant policy. Such absence will be deemed as authorised but will be unpaid. Please ensure you follow the Company’s normal absence reporting procedures.

What is Corps Security doing for our wellbeing and safety?

Senior managers are closely monitoring the situation and have the ability to both ask for and receive additional guidance and support from our Health and Safety Advisor and various external expert bodies. We have an established Business Continuity Plan which takes into account this type of situation with recovery plans in place

We continue to follow and provide hygiene advice in line with PHE and NHS guidance and provide any updates on the Safety Bulletins tab on the Colleague Portal.

We would also like to remind all our colleagues to access our free Employee Assistance Programme who can provide advice on various life issues and problems. More details are on the Colleague Portal on the EAP tab.

Can the Company reduce and/or change my hours of work and/or work location at short notice?

During this unprecedented time all colleagues must be prepared to work flexibly and co-operate in ensuring that we overcome this very challenging period. Many of our clients will be looking to reduce their costs as their own markets decline and their need for security services may be affected. We will do all we reasonably can to mitigate

Which medical conditions may be classified as underlying health conditions?

As per the recent government advice, the examples below are of underlying health conditions:

  • chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
  • chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
  • chronic kidney disease
  • chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
  • chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), a learning disability or cerebral palsy
  • diabetes
  • problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
  • a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
  • being seriously overweight (a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or above)

From next week NHS will be contacting anyone who are at even higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19 and will be providing specific advice about what to do.

What shall I do to protect myself and my loved once from contracting COVID-19?


  • wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds
  • drink water to keep yourself hydrated
  • always wash your hands when you get home or into work
  • use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
  • cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
  • put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards
  • avoid close contact with people who have symptoms of coronavirus
  • only travel on public transport if you need to
  • work from home, if you can
  • avoid social activities, such as going to pubs, restaurants, theatres and cinemas
  • avoid events with large groups of people
  • use phone, online services, or apps to contact your GP surgery or other NHS services


  • do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
  • do not have visitors to your home, including friends and family if you have symptoms or confirmed case of coronavirus in your household

What are the main rules of social distancing?

  • Avoid contact with someone who is displaying symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19)
  • Avoid non-essential use of public transport, varying your travel times to avoid rush hour, when possible
  • Work from home, where possible.
  • Avoid large gatherings, and gatherings in smaller public spaces such as pubs, cinemas, restaurants, theatres, bars, clubs
  • Avoid gatherings with friends and family. Keep in touch using remote technology such as phone, internet, and social media
  • Use telephone or online services to contact your GP or other essential services

Everyone should be trying to follow these measures as much as is pragmatic. For those who are over 70, have an underlying health condition or are pregnant, we strongly advise you to follow the above measures as much as you can, and if possible significantly limit your face-to-face interaction with friends and family.

This advice is likely to be in place for some weeks.